Support Cholesterol Naturally
"My doctor just ordered cholesterol medication for me and I don't want to take it."
Or, "I started cholesterol medicine and I don't feel good on it. Can you help?
These are two very common questions we get asked and we love answering with hope. The first piece of advice we give is discussing bloodwork with a doctor. We recommend having the following tests run before starting on cholesterol medicine:
- Total cholesterol
- HDL - "good cholesterol"
- LDL - "bad cholesterol," but there are actually two types of LDL (one good and one bad).
- "LPA" or Lipo Protein A test - Determines which LDL is prominent, the "good" or "bad."
- C-Reactive protein - Detects inflammation in the body, including inside the blood vessels, making too much "bad" LDL dangerous.
- Calcium scan (if not previously done) - Detects calcium plaques inside the blood vessels also making too much "bad" LDL dangerous.
- Then ask, "What is my cardiac risk based on my results." The doctor uses all of the tests to determine risk percentage.
Often, we find that a doctor responds with, "You're risk is low (or none), so no medication is needed." That's amazing and safer, of course, but you may still want to lower your cholesterol naturally. How do we do that? After labs and exams are completed, recommendations are made to reduce levels using food as medicine and supplements to address the CAUSE of the higher numbers. Sometimes we start digesting the cholesterol roaming around the bloodstream; sometimes we help a body digest and absorb fats better; sometimes we address reducing stress as this increases cholesterol. The main idea is identifying the cause, which differs from person to person. It's not a one-size-fits-all approach.
We have beautiful testimonials of doctors weaning folks off medications or changing their medicine recommendations due to numbers lowering to a normal level. And people share success, so this has turned into a beautiful group of cholesterol-lowering clients with cholesterol numbers to brag about! And this makes us smile.
Weight Loss, Naturally
We tend to get all fired up about some things and weight loss advice is one of those things!
Picture us standing on a really tall (soap) box shouting...
Here's what we want you to know, so you get to the end of your weight loss journey healthy,
not hormonally-imbalanced, nutrient-deficient, with awful lab values and symptoms:
- Every body has a unique biochemistry and unique needs. A Keto (or Whole 30, Plant-based, Vegan, fill-in-the-blank) diet may help one and REALLY hurt another.
- We have to "clean up" a lot of post-dieter's symptoms due to the one-size-fits-all approach that was taken. While good for our business, it's not good for YOU-and we're rallying for YOUR health!
- Unless you know which macronutrients (carbs, fats, proteins) you can't digest, which micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) you're lacking and which organs are malnourished, how would you know how to choose your weight loss and nutrition plan? We can't even tell which is best for us without labs and exams.
- Individual is always best. That's why you have eye exams, test drive cars, and try on shoes. One answer isn't "The" answer. Why wouldn't the same be true for the only body (heart, lungs, thyroid, brain, muscles...) you have?
And now we're stepping off our (soap) box. Thank you.
It's a new year with new emotions, thoughts, expectations and anxieties. We're heading into 2021 and our mindset will make all the difference. We'll be healthier or sicker because of it. We'll dread waking up in the morning or wake feeling vibrant because of it.
If we've been dealing with trauma, sadness and pain and feel stuck, we may have physical changes that make changing our mindset impossible. Maybe we're trying to be positive and just can't. That may make us feel like a failure, feel more depressed or a little crazy. But just like we don't apologize for having a disease, we shouldn't apologize about having failing adrenal glands (or other physical imbalances) that lead to symptoms of depression. If depression is deep and has become a symptom of a physical issue, we must find the issue and fix it.
I know this so well because I lived this twenty years ago and it was debilitating. I feel degrees of it at times and have noticed it more the last few months. The darker days and colder weather haven't helped. I've had to be very purposeful in knowing my propensity towards depression and find ways to counteract it. For me, outside activity every day, a healthful diet and strong faith are my anti-depressants. Seriously, like taking a pill. When my diet slips and I don't get outside and move and don't talk with God regularly, the symptoms come back because by physical body suffers. Depression is just the way my body rebels. And I'm thankful for the warning light.
Some may need medications to be able to think clearly enough to find the answers to why the warning lights are going off. There is no shame in that other than what we put on ourselves. Some may need to find out what non-medicinal anti-depressants are effective for them. Alo can help if someone is stuck. It's what we do. We're blessed to walk this journey with people.
Here We Go...
You're Shopping Local & We're Ready!
November 28, 2020
There's been nothing cooler to me than seeing you in the grocery stores, at church and on the waterfront trails. We're doing this together, in the same community and neighborhoods. We are #bettertogether-looks like that's been a theme and will continue to be one!
I GET TO see three of you officially this coming week and am looking forward to hearing your Superhero stories as your health improves. I guess that means we're officially kicking things off here. It's a tad earlier than planned, but I hear you're sick of driving an hour or two for your appointments (especially as winter approaches), so we hurried to set up shop. We're open by appointment only to keep things efficient for you and to give you the attention you deserve. I can't wait to see you!
As things progress, these blog posts will become very practical and health and wellness education oriented. We want to pour health tips and resources into you, so stay tuned for beautiful health-inspiring things to come!
We're Getting U.P. Strong Together!
October 22, 2020
While Alo Health, U.P. hasn't officially started taking clients, yet, we're rockin' and rollin' with our first "Simply Healthy Reset" health challenge. We heard from you that this famous viral season is taking a toll and we had to jump in to help.
We're finishing our first week of amazing processing of the biggest health sabotage-intruders and we're squashing them at the pass. I'm hearing from you that lightbulbs are going off; you're starting to think differently; your emotions are being properly managed; your habits and environment are changing and you're ready to make nutrition and activity changes...sustainable ones!
I couldn't be prouder! Of you or the community here. Quite honestly, I had no idea what the health and wellness culture was in the Escanaba area. Would I be able to do what I'm so passionate about in this area I love? Would you want wellness tips? Would you want to feel better naturally? Oh my, the answer has been a resounding, "Yes, yes and yes again!" Every person I talk to refers me to another wellness-minder professional. The list has become long and the conversations have been deep. We're definitely in this together. We're a team and I feel it. This is just the beginning folks. I look forward to many long, health-filled years in the U.P.
Because we're experienced, reliable, and focused on results, we've had the privilege of working with a host of fantastic clients.
September 19, 2020
It's a crisp, refreshing, fall morning (with all things pumpkin spice in the air) and although I'm awake now, I'm dreaming of the bright U.P. future. This dream-session would be even better if you were here dreaming with me. We'll make that happen soon!
The planning phase of our Alo-expansion is exciting, but I want to make sure to dream your dreams. Your community, culture and needs are different than than the community, culture and needs of Appleton, Wisconsin, the birthplace of Alo.
In order to make your health and wellness dreams come true, we need to chat. You need to be open, honest, transparent and vulnerable with me. I need to be open, honest, flexible and creative with you. I already love you and your community-that's a beautiful start. Let's keep the momentum going!
Watch for upcoming Zoom "Alo Focus Group" invites on our Alo Health, U.P. Facebook page. We want you to be a part of this conversation because we wouldn't be here without you. We want you energetic, hormonally-balanced, free of pain, heartburn, headaches, and just plain old feeling great. We will be and already have a great start on being #Bettertogether. We'll chat soon, friends!
Why is Alo Traveling NORTH?
September 5, 2020
I'm so glad you asked. Three reasons get me all fired up. Some are pretty personal and transparent, just to warn you. ;)
1) Because I've heard from you and YOU MATTER. I've heard people say, "We don't have any holistic health clinics up here and I would love one!" "I drive over two hours to see someone who does natural therapies" is another one I've heard. Oh, and, "I didn't know there was a choice in how I treated my_______" is a heartbreaking comment I hear All. The. Time.
Those words resonated in my mind and heart. I became passionate about offering hope to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, God's County indeed. It's too beautiful of a place to be sick and tired and depressed and hurting. Let's inspire each other!
2) Because, selfishly, we've been away from family for decades and the older we get, the more we appreciate the blessings of these God-given relationships. The really tough part about moving not just the Alo practice, but our lives, is that we LOVE where we're leaving. Appleton, Wisconsin has been our home for over twenty years. We've raised our family here, made the richest friendships, found a home with wonderful neighbors, successfully grew a thriving holistic health practice with AMAZING clients (many of whom have become friends), navigated trials, heartbreaks, countless joys and most importantly, found faith in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Our church family, Appleton Alliance Church became our "home away from home." We love Appleton. That's why this is bittersweet.
3) Because God told us to, purely and simply. Several opportunities presented themselves to us at once and we found ourselves sensing that more changes were coming. We prayed, pondered, sought wisdom from friends and family and then made the decision. It all comes down to wanting to be obedient to Christ. It's just that simple.